Welcome to Chalappuram Kudumbayogam
Chalappuram family's eldest known ancestor was Uthuppunny ( AD 1802 - 1896). whose parents could have had settled at Mulakkulam, a small village in Kottayam district of Kerala some time during last decade of eighteenth century ( see History page for origin of Chalappuram family)
Uthuppunny’s offsprings ( Second Generation) were believed to be as follows
- Head of Chalappuram family at Mulakkulam Branch
- Mani Chacko (1819–1909) Head of Mulanthuruthy and Maneed Branches,
- Head of Chalappuram Parayil family ( Mulanthuruthy and Malabar Branches)
Uthuppunny had taken two of his three sons to Mulanthuruthy ( a village in erstwhile Cochin State) due to his inability to pay tax on the property at Mulakkulam (in erstwhile Travancore State.). Leaving both the two sons at Mulamthuruthy, Uthuppunny returned to Mulakkulam , stayed with his third son and died there.
The second generation ancestor of Mulakkulam family had 5 sons namely Late Jacob Ramban, Late Korah, Vettickal, Late Uthup (Vathakkattel), Late Skaria and Late Varkey (Kalappurayil) – Third Genreation
Children of Late Korah Vettickal were
· Late Varkey
· Late Cheria
· Late Mathai
Children of Late Uthup Vathakkatel were
· Late Chacko
· Late …..
Children of Late Skaria were
· Late Mathai (Thuruthel)
· Late Varghese ( Changalam Thuruthel)
Children of Late Varkey (Kalappurayil) were
· Late Chacko (Kalappurayil)
· Late Mathew (Kalappurayil)
· Late Joseph (Kalappurayil)
· Late Kurian (Kanjirathara – wife’s family name)
Mulanthuruthy and Maneed Branch
Manichacko had two sons – Uthuppunny ( 1855-1927) and Late Varkey ( both third generation)
Children of Uthuppunny Chalappuram ( Mulanthuruthy) were: ( Fourth generation)
· Late Mani Chacko Pavoodam - wife’s family name (1877-1952)
· Late Ouseph Chalappuram ( Malayil) (18xx-1960)
· Late Skaria Chalappuram ( Padathedathu) (18xx-1964)
· Late Varkey Chalappuram –(Padinjappurathu) (18xx-1947)
· Late Markose Chalappuram ( 1902- 1979)
· Late Mrs Achamma Isaac, Chemmanam
· Late Mrs Chachi
· Late Mrs Sosa (Cherupavoodam)
· Late Mrs … ( Mudakkil)
· Late Mrs …(South Parur)
Children of Varkey Chalappuram were: ( Fourth generation)
· Late Mathai Chalappuram-VARIKKOLY,
· Late Mathu Chalappuram- VETTITHARA,
· Late Chacko Chalappuram-MANEED,
· Late Uthuppunni Chalappuram-MANEED,
· Late Rev.Fr.Gee Varghese Chalappuram-MULANTHURUTHY,
· Late Pailykkunju Chalappuram-MALABAR and
· Late Mrs Achappulla Paily Kaippallykkuzhy-POOTHRIKKA.
Chalappuram Parayil Branch ( Malabar and Mulanthuruthy)
The second generation ancestor of Chalappuram Parayil had an offspring named Late Mathai.( Third Generation)
Mathai had two sons who were Puravath and Paily ( Fourth Generation)
Children of Puravath were: ( Fifth generation)
· Late John - Mulanthuruthy,
Children of Paily (Malabar) were: ( Fifth generation)
· Late Jacob ( 19xx – 1984)
· Late Mathai (1907 – 1959)
· Late Peter (1912- 1987)
· Late Varghese
· Late Kunjavira (1907-1990)
More details available in the Family tree for each branch separately
Faith and Priesthood
Most of the family members belong to either Jacobite or Orthodox church. Chalappuram family has an impressive Episcopal lineage and till date we have had 29 priests serving in different hierarchy.
Among our priests, the Late Very Rev.Fr.Yakob Ram ban, who was buried at Vettikkal Dayara, near Mulanthuruthy in 1913 attained the senior most position in clerical hierarchy. Yakob Ramban had served as secretary of Parumala Kochu Thirumeni..
Some of the other priests of the family were:
· Late Rev.Fr.GeeVarghese Chalappuram, Mulakkulam,
· Late Rev.Fr.GeeVarghese Chalappuram-Mulanthuruthy,
· Late Rev.Fr.GeeVarghese Thuruthel-Vettithara,
· Late Rev.Fr:C.M.Abraham-Varikkoly
There are three priests in the family now.
- Rev.Fr.George.C.Chalappuram - Mulakkulam
- Rev.Fr.James Chalappuram - Mulakkulam
- Rev.Fr.Mathews Chalppuram-Mulakkulam,( President of Chalappuram Kudumbayogam)
Kudumbam in Malayalam means, ‘Koodumbozhulla Imbam’ (The happiness on being together). Our family motto is exemplified by our ‘strength in unity’.
It was late Rev.Fr. GeeVarghese Chalappuram, Mulakkulam who laid the foundation of Chalappuram Kudumbayogam in 1955, gathering the families in and near Mulakkulam. This meeting was organised annually which was later discontinued with his demise. It was again reconstituted in 1995, including all of our families mainly spread over the places like Mulakkulam, Mulanthuruthy, Varikkoly, Vettithara, Maneed and Malabar. The first get together of Chalappuram families (CHALAPPURAM KUDUMBAYOGAM) was conducted on May 10th 1995, at Rev.Fr.GeeVarghese Memorial High School, Karikkodu., Mulakkulam.
Late Rev.Fr. Gee Varghese Thuruthel was the first president of the Kudumbayogam. We have to remember on this occasion all of our eminent clergy like Late Rev.Fr.Gee Varghese, Thuruthel, Late Rev.Fr.C.M.Abraham, V.Rev.George.C.Chalappuram Cor-Episcopa besides Late Mr C.V.George, Late Mr C.V.Joseph Mulanthuruthy and all others who made this dream to reality.
It was another dream of Kudumbayogam to start a website of our own. The idea was strongly recommended in the 16th Chalappuram Kudumbasangamam conducted on 1st May 2010 at Maneed and the task was entrusted to the Executive Committee headed by Very.Rev.George.C.Chalappuram Cor-Episcopa as our Patron, Rev.Fr.Mathews Chalappuram as President, Mr.K.K.James as Secretary, Mr.Roy Jacob as Treasurer and Web Site Administrator , Mr C.K.Jones, Coordinator , Mr C.G.Kurian, Facilitator and Rev.Fr.James Chalappuram as co-facilitator.
Initially the data collection was the main task which was overcome by the co-operation and hard work put in by the committee members. Mr. Jacob Varghese (s/o Re.Fr.Gee Varghese Thuruthel Chalappuram) settled in USA had already created a website with the URL (www.chalappuram.com) and Mr. Jacob Varghese was very generous to transfer the web site domain and hosting rights to Chalappuram family office bearers. Chalappuram family acknowledge our gratitude to Mr. Jacob Varghese for his magnanimity. We would like to take this opportunity to appreciate everybody worked behind the curtains to make this dream come true.